Harps in Schools Project Appeal

Help Glasbury Arts reintroduce iconic Welsh harp playing into our Welsh schools. Catrin Finch, Patron of Glasbury Arts is supporting this appeal: “This appeal obviously rings all the right bells for me and is something I am very passionate about. It is imperative to keep our cultural traditions alive here in Wales for future generations, and it is through music and particularly the harp that we can ensure this is done.”

gift aid 30mm blackChoose this button if you want to Gift Aid your donation, 
which means we can claim from HMRC an extra 25p for 
every £1 that you donate. You will need to enter your address
to enable us to claim.  

Choose this button if you do not pay Income Tax or 
choose not to Gift Aid your donation.

From 2011 until 2015, Glasbury Arts organised one of the few annual Harp Summer School in Wales and the UK, until our grants came to an end.
We want to reintroduce the summer school in 2017 but to expand it in a radical way. Harp playing began in Wales as a simple method of people mak-ing music in their isolated communities passed down the generations. Today, playing the harp is a very expensive activity - for a young person wanting to start, a new student harp will cost £2000 and lessons upwards of £25 per session.
Because state schools do not have the budgets to provide harp tuition most children in Wales do not have the chance to try playing this culturally iconic instrument. So as well as reintroducing our harp summer school, we want to see if we can make harp playing available to a wider community of young peo-ple, irrespective of their financial backgrounds or personal vulnerabilities.
We are therefore trying to raise the majority of funds from Charitable Foundations to allow us to put two harps and tutors into three of our local schools for at least two years, Gwernyfed High School, Clyro Church in Wales Primary School and Penmaes School, which provides specialist education for pupils aged 3-19 with a wide range of learning difficulties.
In addition, we would like to create a programme, in partnership with Gwernyfed High School, to make tutorials available online, thereby widening the potential evelopment even further.
The overall programme would be evaluated by the Mid—Wales Music Trust, and in the final year we would bring together representatives of local authorities, arts organisations and the Welsh Government to look at the outcome of the project and to explore how the lessons learnt can be applied across Wales. Our funding bids would provide 80% of the funding, leaving us to find the remaining 20%. In cash terms we would have to raise an additional £30,000, including £10,000 for the 6 harps (initially) and £8000 towards the cost of online tutorial equipment and support. 
We are therefore launching an appeal to raise what is called “match funding”, and therefore we are asking for your help to develop an important part of Welsh culture, as well as provide creative opportunities for the young people in our three schools, and in time well beyond our part of Wales. 
Donations can be as small or as large as you can manage and if you are an income tax payer you can increase the amount (without any cost to you) by 25% if you gift aid your contribution. 
If you are reading this on our website just click on one of the 'Donate' buttons and follow the directions. If you are reading this somewhere else you can donate by sending a cheque to Glasbury Arts Ltd, 5 Twin Oaks, Glasbury-on-Wye, Powys, HR3 5 PE. For further information call the Glasbury Arts General Enquiry Line 07583 544110. Alternatively, if you have or know of someone who has a harp not being used please consider whether you or they might let us have it on a long-term loan.

 

 

Back to top